JOB DESCRIPTION: Assists the Editorial Director in editorial efforts for Where in North America, including the city Where magazines, WhereTraveler.com and digital products, WhereTraveler social media channels, as well as multiple annual products, all related to the travel and visitor market. The position is based in our headquarters office in Augusta, Georgia.
This role is primarily a quality-control and trafficking position dedicated to coordinating the editorial team to ensure adherence to the production schedule. The Managing Editor will also maintain the editorial style guide and review content for adherence to our style and quality standards on all platforms, monitor the editorial budget, and create content as needed for all platforms.
* 2+ years experience managing an editorial department
* 5+ years of excellent writing/copyediting experience and strong editorial judgment
* Bachelor’s degree in journalism, English or related field
* Strongly self-motivated and needing minimal supervision
* Highly computer literate, including hands-on experience with InDesign/InCopy, Adobe, Drupal, Hootsuite, Later or other content management systems
* Highly detail-oriented and organized
* Ability to consistently meet deadlines on multiple projects
* Ability to multitask and manage several assignments simultaneously
* Dynamic, can-do personality with ability to confidently execute Where’s editorial vision
* Knowledge of budgeting and cost containment
* Experience with magazine and print product processes from planning to sales opening to print date
* Passion for both traditional and new digital publishing processes and social media
* Excellent verbal and written communication skills
* Ability to lead and manage editorial team and work closely with sales, design and production management teams
* Knowledge of advertising sales competencies and how editorial can drive sales revenue
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
* Maintain master editorial schedule of publications, including assigning editorial support staff to assist with both print and digital projects.
* Supervise and mentor editorial support staff.
* Constantly communicate with editors to execute production process.
* Lead weekly meetings with editorial team to track progress as well as coordinate storyboard meetings for Where magazines, GuestBooks and special projects.
* Liaison with digital fulfillment team and Executive Digital Editor to identify stories for the web and best practices for uploading, updating and scheduling content online and to social media.
* Work with Executive Digital Editor to develop creative new feature and story ideas for WhereTraveler.com.
* Maintain the editorial style guide for print, web and social media.
* Work with Editorial Director to oversee continuity in mastheads, branding and layout standards.
* Review cover lines for all products.
* Collaborate on native advertising initiatives.
* Help develop and curate editorial calendar for WhereTraveler.com.
* Monitor editorial budget for all markets and send monthly report to Editorial Director.
***This is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, duties, requirements, efforts, or working conditions associated with the job. While this is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current job, management reserves the right to revise the job to require that other or different tasks be performed when circumstances change (e.g., emergencies, changes in personnel, workload, rush jobs, or technological developments).
We are an equal opportunity employer. We consider applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, or the presence of a disability, which would not prevent the performance of essential job duties with, or without reasonable accommodation or any other protective status.